Classroom Aquarium Education Program (AKA Trout in the Classroom)

California Department of Fish and Wildlife

“Known regionally as Trout in the Classroom, Salmonids in the Classroom, Steelhead in the Classroom, or Salmon and Trout Education Program.

Through a classroom experience of hatching fish eggs and coordinated activities, students experience first-hand the value of aquatic environments, the balance that must be met to maintain and preserve California’s fisheries and aquatic habitats, and how their personal actions affect these valuable resources.

Instructors and their students set up an aquarium in the classroom, receive fish eggs under a special CDFW permit, and observe the fish as they hatch and develop. The experience may culminate in a field trip to a local stream or river where the fish are released. This is a hands-on, interdisciplinary project for grades K-12.

The Classroom Aquarium Education Project is offered statewide in partnership with regionally-based community organizations. While the program has several names around the state, the essential learning elements and student experiences are similar. The prerequisite training workshops are held at locations throughout the state. Completion of a training workshop is required to receive eggs. Teacher training workshops are offered at least once a year in each region”  (CDFW,2018)

View Video (TIC Video)

View 2018 Workshop Manual (2018 TIC Workshop Manual)

My Story

I started a Trout in thelogo finished Classroom Program (TIC) after being trained by California Department of Fish and Wildlife (CDFW). I then purchased an aquarium and chiller.

My first program was with the West Valley Boys and Girls Club. After school, the kids raised trout from egg to fingerlings over an eight (8) week period while learning about water conservation.

Over the years, I’ve assisted public school teachers with grades K-12. However, using my personal aquarium and chiller only allowed me to operate one program at a time.

In 2015, I’ve developed a relationship with CDFW where they provide teachers with the necessary equipment.   I then assist teachers by setting up the equipment, tank preparation and water quality testing, egg delivery, and presentations to their classes.

I’ve also established Man in Waders TIC Partnering Program for those who don’t qualify for CDFW assistance.  This is where I assist teachers in writing grants to purchase an aquarium or get a loaner from one of several fly fishing clubs in the greater Los Angeles Area. Both programs enable Man in Wader to reach more kids.

The California Department of Fish and Wildlife TIC Program and Man in Waders TIC Partnering supplements teachers’ efforts by adding my knowledge and experience as a fly angler who is passionate about California’s wild and native salmon and trout and who has 30 years of experience in land use planning and land management.